What makes a quality backlink?
Internet marketer cannot emphasize enough how critical it is to build backlinks to your small business website to help improve its search engine rankings. However it is equally important to know what is a good quality backlink so that you maximize the time and energy it takes to create one.
A good backlink should have the following features:
1. It should be from a page or site with a high page rank. If you can get backlinks from a PR4 Site and above, that is an excellent backlink. Page rank 2 and 3 sites are more common on the internet so a backlink from these sites is not bad either. Page rank 0 and 1 sites have less valuable backlinks but including them in your backlink campaign is better than having no backlinks at all. Remember than one Page rank 1 backlink is better than two Page rank 0 backlinks so always aim for backlinks from higher Page rank sites.
2. It should have the correct anchor text based on proper keyword research. For example if you operate a golf shop in Maine and are targeting the following keyword –“ golf shop in Maine”, then use that Keyword as the anchor text for a majority of your backlinks. The anchor text is that clickable text that contains a hyper link to your URL.
3. It should be a long term stable link meaning that the chances of the backlink being deleted should be slim to none. Try to focus on building backlinks that will not be easily removed by blog owners/editors such as those obtained from Web 2.0 sites, article directories, blog networks, guest blogging and profile links. The riskier type of backlinks such as blog commenting and signature links should be approached with more caution and tact as these are the most vulnerable to get deleted.
4. A good backlinks should be a contextual backlink. This is the type of backlink that is surrounded by text content such as in the middle of an article. This type of backlink is more powerful than those that appear on the side bar or footer, so try to use back linking methods that capitalize on this.
5. A good backlink should be on an ethical website rather than a dubious one that has gambling, pornographic, or other illegal or spammy sites. The search engines do pay attention to the sources of your backlinks and will either penalize or reward you depending on the quality of the source website.
6. Finally a good quality backlink should be from an actively used site that has fresh content added on a weekly basis as opposed to a dormant site. Having your backlinks on active sites means the search engines will quickly find those backlinks because those sites regularly get crawled and indexed by the search engines.